Thursday, July 4, 2013

Post-Parma Shenanigans

Hey friends! Deepest apologies for such a long time since the last post...our days for the most part haven't been the freest of days. Since I posted last we successfully completed our camp in Parma, OH! Praise the Lord! As the week went on things calmed down for the most part and we were able to finish strong, ready to head out before noon on Saturday. The highlight of my week was on Thursday night. There was a group of 4 campers that came to the office window looking to buy snacks from the camp store and ended up asking me a whole bunch of theological questions. We had such a thoughtful and beautiful conversation about a few of the things I enjoy discussing the most, especially since I study religion back at UVA. It brought me so much joy to hang out and chat with them.

As I've thought about writing this post there at least two major lessons that I've been learning since last week.

Number 1: There is one major reason that I'm not a huge fan of being a red shirt, and it's that I don't really get to minister directly to kids. Many have told me that the crop of our ministry is the opportunity that we set up for youth leaders to minister to their youth kids. And I understand, I get it, and I know it's awesome. I know all of the wonderful times I've had with my youth leaders and friends at workcamp and how good workcamp is at making that happen. But I miss being able to talk to kids; I strongly dislike the indirectedness of my job. Maybe I'm just used to the intense relationship building of leading YoungLife at a middle school back home, but I can't stand seeing the brokenness that's poured out during many of the programs, and there's nothing I can do. This past week in Parma I found myself sitting in the auditorium watching the kids circle together around the cross, sobbing, at the feet of Jesus. I shed a few of my own tears, merely wishing there was some way I could just lift their burdens and take them away. It was a weird feeling, especially because what I wanted to do is exactly what Jesus does for us all, always. Maybe the real lesson here is that God is working on my controlling nature...I can't be the one in control that takes the hurt away...only HE can...

Before I get to lesson number two, here's what else we've been up to. We left Parma High School and stayed with a couple that have been on summer staff before and will be getting married in August. We went to church with them on Sunday, which was much needed for us all. On Monday we went to Cedar Point which was really fun. We were blessed by some of our friends from the team of volunteers in Parma who bought us tickets to go, so it was simply awesome. Of course, we got caught in another rain storm and scarfed down two funnel cakes as it poured around the pavilion we were huddled under. Good times with Crew K in the rain! On Monday night we stayed with a lady named "C," who works at a Christian camp in Mansfield, OH. She gave us a twilight hike/tour of the camp which was absolutely beautiful. At first we didn't really want to go, but how blessed we were to spend a few minutes in God's beautiful creations in nature...I mean, we saw a waterfall and a field full of fireflies that literally looked like Pixie Hollow. Anddd then, on Tuesday we stayed with a guy who has played for the Bengals, Steelers, and Giants once upon a time. We were able to relax by the neighborhood pool and catch some rays on our pale, Summer Staff skin. By Wednesday morning we found ourselves beginning set up in Middletown, OH, where we will be starting camp #2 on Sunday!

Now, lesson number 2: I am so blessed to be meeting the vast amount of people that I am this summer. For starters, my crew is fantastic. Who knew a group of four girls could hold it together and do this job for a summer without killing each other. I know, the summer isn't over yet, but the Lord is good and He has certainly been holding us together fairly well, even in the high stress that we inevitably experience as red shirts. Don't even get me started on our red shirt volunteers last week. They couldn't have set the bar higher for the remaining camps we have. But, our travel week especially was just awesome. Alex & Jessica (the summer staffers getting married soon) took such wonderful care of us and it was great to be with more people that understand our mission and experience this summer. Then there was C, who blessed us with time in creation and some great stories about puppies, horses, camp, and much more. It was pretty cool to hang out with her and her neighbor and just listen to their tales of adventure in the middle-of-nowhere-Ohio. And Brad and his wife, Tammy, were wonderful too. Hearing about his ministries and just observing the heart he has for everything he does was pretty sweet, not to mention his testimony. I'm kind-of strangely humbled because I realize that I would have never met these people if it weren't for this job. Not only am I learning much from being a summer staffer, but I'm also learning to value relationships more, even the short term ones. There are so many people in this world. Cool ones, sweet ones, hurting ones, rich ones, poor ones, you name it. And I have the sweet opportunity of meeting a few and serving a few right here in America this summer. What a blessing it is to be on summer staff, even through the hardship that it requires at times! Still remembering & grappling with James 1:2-3 :)

So that's that I suppose. As of now set-up in Middletown is great, and we had a lovely day of relaxing for the 4th. Happy Birthday 'Murica! Campers come on Sunday, and I'm sure I'll have more lessons to share soon...God must be aware of how much I need to learn...I'm certain He must be entertained by how blinded I am by my earthly surroundings when He's been waiting for me the whole time! Please be in prayer for the week ahead, mainly that Jesus will sweep through Rosa Parks Elementary School and that the lives of residents and campers will changed forever by His precious spirit.

Love y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment